Happy Monday everyone!
This post has been a long time coming, but now that I'm almost done being pregnant (what?!) I figured that it's high time I share what pieces have helped get me through the past few months!
I've really enjoyed my pregnancy and attempting to style my growing bump has been a fun part of the process! Although I was able to wear my "normal" clothes for the first few months, because I'm fairly tall (5'10'') it seemed like a lot of things, especially dresses and tops, started to get very short very quickly once my bump "popped". I am fortunate to have a job where I work from home and so I really didn't have to buy too many maternity clothes since I can wear sweats/yoga pants daily. However, that didn't stop me from doing a fair amount of shopping! I may have gone a little overboard, but I think that's kind of normal for a first pregnancy since it's all new and exciting! But because I didn't have to buy much in the way of dressy/professional clothes, the maternity wardrobe I put together is comprised mainly of casual, comfortable pieces with a lot of options to mix and match.
Here's what worked for me when it came to maternity shopping:
- I personally had the best luck with big box stores like H&M, Old Navy, Gap, and Target. I did find a few things at Destination Maternity, which features clothes from both Pea in the Pod and Motherhood Maternity, but that was a little more hit or miss for me.
- Although I did buy a fair amount of maternity clothes from those places in-store, I also bought things online too as there are a lot more choices available! ASOS is another awesome online option for maternity clothes, especially dresses!
- I stuck to places that were pretty budget-friendly overall, but I was able to find some really good sales at the places I shopped which was super helpful since shopping for maternity clothes can really add up! Maternity clothes seem like they don't get marked down quite as much, but keep an eye out for sales (especially online) because they do happen!
- Buy early! I was a little hesitant to start buying/wearing maternity clothes in the beginning of my pregnancy and wanted to keep wearing my normal stuff. However, so many maternity pieces really do fit a lot better and are just so much more comfortable! Plus, you really only have a short time to wear all this so you might as well get your use out of it!
- I tried to stick to a fairly neutral color palette of black and gray with the majority of maternity pieces I purchased. This has given me a lot of options for putting different combinations together, plus it helped to transition between seasons as well. I'm also hoping that it will give these pieces some longevity so I can use them down the road.
Finally, here are the five key pieces that have been staples for me...
1. Comfortable Jeans: I have a few different styles of maternity jeans and I personally like the full-panel type myself. I have a pair of dark blue skinnies as well as gray skinnies (that I don't think are available any more?) from Old Navy that are both full-panel that I really like a lot. I have gotten a ton of wear out of these distressed black skinny jeans from Gap as well and just love them. I also found a few pairs of J Brand maternity jeans on Rue La La as well that were a total steal!
2. Cute Tops: I found some great options at H&M - the striped one is no longer available online, but this gray one is probably my favorite maternity shirt that I have and it comes in multiple colors. I've also had luck at Target, Old Navy, and Destination Maternity when it comes to shirts!
3. Versatile Dresses: I personally have enjoyed wearing more stretchy, fitted pieces that really accentuated the bump during my pregnancy, particularly when it comes to dresses! I've found a few really cute options at Old Navy (including this one that's on super sale right now!) that were very simple, solid color dresses that I've been able to get a lot of use out of. As far as other dress options, I found the dress for my Michigan shower on ASOS (it's no longer available but this is similar) and this dress for my Portland shower at Destination Maternity.
4. Oversized Sweaters: Since the weather has cooled down this fall, I've been all about comfy sweaters! And what's great is that I've picked up some awesome open cardigans and oversized poncho type sweaters from H&M recently that are actually not maternity! They work perfectly with leggings now, but I know I'll get a ton of use out of them postpartum as well.
5. Solid Basics: Tanks and leggings are definitely the maternity staples I've gotten the most use out of during my pregnancy. I personally really liked the leggings from H&M and the tanks from Target, however, there are tons of great options out there for both!
These are the pieces that have carried me through the past 37.5 weeks, and it's what I'll be wearing through the next few weeks until baby boy arrives. (And I'm sure I'll be wearing many of these things for awhile after he's born too as I transition back to my normal wardrobe...) I'm thankful that there are so many cute options these days when it comes to maternity clothes because it definitely makes shopping and dressing during pregnancy that much more fun!