Happy Friday everyone! I thought I'd take a cue from one of my favorite bloggers, Christina from Hungry Meets Healthy, and write today's post in list format. Nothing too earth-shattering, just thought it would be a fun way to share a little bit about what's going on in my corner of the world this week!
1. What I'm Reading: Today is the day that many of us have been waiting for, The Great Gatsby movie finally comes out! I am SO excited to see this movie. Unfortunately I'm not going to have time this weekend, but I hope to see it early next week (and yes, I will be seeing it regardless of what kind of reviews it gets). The movie is directed by Baz Luhrmann, who also directed Moulin Rouge--a film that I thought was visually stunning, so I'm excited to see how he brings this book to life. I read the book my sophomore year of high school, and I wanted to read it again before seeing the movie as the details of the story are a little fuzzy to me now. I recently downloaded the book on my Kindle and am about halfway through it. It's a quick read and I'm really enjoying it, but I've been really tired this week for some reason and every time I tried to read it before bed I end up passing out! But despite my slow progress, I'm hoping to get it finished up this weekend.
2. What I'm Shopping For: This summer, Cameron and I have FOUR weddings to attend, which I realize isn't that many, but they're all for very close friends of mine and they're all out of state, which is why it's kind of a big deal. I have been having the HARDEST time finding cute dresses that are wedding appropriate. I want to find dresses that are more dressy/fancy than just a cotton sundress, while still being summer-y. I also want to stay away from dresses that are white (obviously), black (kind of heavy for a summer wedding IMO), or red (pink/coral/orange is ok with me, I just feel like bright red is a little much for a wedding) and ideally, I'd like something sleeveless/strapless. When it comes to a more formal dress, I personally would rather go to a store and try something on vs. ordering it online, but I'm open to suggestions at this point! If you have any recommendations of cute dresses you've found recently for a summer wedding, I'd love to hear them! (The image above is via Nordstrom's, I've found a few cute dresses online there, but nothing I'm super crazy about)
3. What I'm Working On: As you may (or may) not know, I'm a recruiter and as much as I love my job, it doesn't really give me the opportunity to write, something else I really enjoy. (Hence the reason this blog is one my favorite hobbies!) However, I was recently asked to write an article for the local paper as part of a young professionals group I'm involved with here in Tahoe. It's just a short piece that talks about being more effective in your job search and you can check it out here! Also, I'm a Brand Ambassador for my company, which means that I'm supposed to be very active in social media discussions taking place in the HR world. My area of specialty is employee engagement/generational recruitment, with a specific focus on Gen Y. I'm going to be writing another post for my company's blog later this month and I'm thinking of focusing on Millennials, and potentially referencing this recent Time Magazine cover story...anyone have thoughts on this topic?
4. Recipes I'm Pinning: One of my goals for this spring was to incorporate some new meals into our weekly lineup, and so far it's been going well! I've been bad about photographing them because they've pretty much all been made at night during the week when the lighting is terrible/Cam and I are starving, but many of the recipes I plan on making again and will hopefully blog about at some point. I also have my eye on some new recipes I'd like to make in the next few weeks, including:
Lime and Coconut Chicken
(although I think I might replace the biscuits in the recipe with these...mmm!)
Gwyneth Paltrow's Salmon with Sriracha Sauce & Lime
5. What I'm Doing This Weekend: Cameron and I are heading out after work today to go camping and I'm SO excited! We're going to an area near Bridgeport, CA (a little under two hours south of where we live) and we plan on doing some hiking and checking out the hot springs. We drove through this area on our way back from Yosemite last year, so it should be fun to do some more exploring! Sunset Magazine had a great article in this month's issue on the The Secret Sierra, which showcased more off the beaten path destinations in the beautiful Sierra Nevada mountains, and this was one of the featured areas. I'm looking forward to unplugging for a few days and enjoying the great weather!
|via Sunset Magazine|